Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Day the Music Died

February 3, 2009 is the 50th year anniversary of the tragic incident in Mason City Iowa. Three young performers, who had contributed to the birth of Rock and Roll music went down in a Beechcraft Bonanza after playing to a sold out Groundhog day audience at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake. Buddy Holly was tired of the dilapitated bus used to tour the upper Midwest and had chartered the plane for his band. The seat originally reserved for bass player Waylon Jennings was given to the Big Bopper, J.P. Richardson who was suffering from a bad cold. I wrote about this on mnbowling on the morning of the 3rd. In the evening I proceeded to my league night at the Mermaid Lanes in Moundsview, MN.

The lanes seemed to hook a little more than usual. After starting with a double, I failed to trust my shot in frames three and four and left two big splits. Later I made the adjustment too much and left a 2-4-5-7-8 and chopped it for my third open of the game to finish with 170. The second game I locked in and my first six balls were in the pocket but produced only one strike, 3 ten pins, a shaker 7 and a stone 8. I don't know what changed, but I finished that game with six strikes, and proceeded to tack on 12 more in the third game for 300. A memorable date, now for two reasons.

No comments: